We recently completed a three-year, multi-phase renovation of our historic synagogue building to ensure a safe, secure and beautiful home for our congregation. We believe we now have as welcoming and comfortable a Main Sanctuary as is offered at any house of prayer in Manhattan.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Completely replaced the roof; reconstructed all fire escapes.
- Removed an unattractive acoustical-tile ceiling and outdated lighting fixtures in the Main Sanctuary, revealing a soaring beamed ceiling which added 20 feet to the height of the sanctuary and greatly increased the space over the balcony seating.
- Removed light boxes and radiators which impinged on the worship space; insulated and rebuilt the walls.
- Replaced worn-out seating with beautiful cherry wood pews with high density foam seat cushions for comfort.
- Refinished the floor and installed all new carpeting.
- Replaced two small entrance doors with one large central door to ensure easy access to the sanctuary.
- Moved the heating and air conditioning ducts to the top of the walls and rebuilt the entire heating and cooling system, ensuring a comfortable environment for all seasons.
- Outdated lighting fixtures replaced by elegant custom brass chandeliers that provide for comfortable levels of illumination throughout the room.
- Sound system replaced and upgraded to ensure that services are clear and audible.
- Main staircases to sanctuary level and sanctuary vestibule completely rebuilt.
- New chair lift installed for easy access to sanctuary level.
- A soaring new gilded Ark with a stained glass roundel that provides a visual focus for the Sanctuary.
- Restrooms completed rebuilt and updated.
- Social Hall carpeting replaced, woodwork restored and new sound system installed.
We thank all our donors for their commitment to the Or Olam community.